- Make a small image (100 x 100 is good) in your favorite image editing application, and save/export it in XPM format.
- Script a simple Maya interface that assigns this image to a control, like the iconTextButton. Open your UI and confirm that the image displays correctly.
- Go back to your image editing app, make some obvious change to the image, and save/export it with the same name as before.
- In Maya, reload your UI, and you should still see the original image, without the change you just made.
- Restart Maya and load your UI again. The changed image should appear this time.
If the test above doesn't operate as described for you, I'd love to hear about it. Post the Maya version and OS that you're using. I'm curious if there's a pattern to this problem. I'd also appreciate hearing if you know of any proven work-arounds.