Saturday, March 19, 2011

Change is in the air

Spring is a wonderful time of renewal and rebirth. It's a glorious...

Yeah, fine...get to the point already!

*ahem*

I just finished my last set of Animation Mentor campus crits...not just for this term, but possibly for good. That's the change to which I mysteriously alluded in my Facebook status earlier this week. I will not be returning as a campus mentor in the spring, and it's possible that I will not do any more mentoring with AM in the future.

My five-and-a-half years as a mentor with AM have been quite an experience. I've learned a ton, met a lot of amazing people, and enjoyed the opportunity to share my meager knowledge of animation and the entertainment industry. It's also been a bit of an emotional roller-coaster, particularly during the past three years after I set aside animation in favor of programming and TD work at Reel FX. The decision to step away from mentoring at AM is partly because of that roller-coaster, and partly because of other things happening in my life right now. While I will miss the regular interaction with AM staff and all the aspiring animators in the program, this change really is for the best.

To everyone at Animation Mentor -- staff, students, and graduates -- I express my deepest thanks for an amazing experience. While I won't be on the school site after the end of next week, or walking in costume across the stage at future graduation ceremonies, I hope to stay in touch with as many of you as possible, and wish you all the best in your animation journey.

3 comments:

g1toons said...

I never had you as a mentor but i did watch or read your crits so thanks, and good luck in the future

Justin S Barrett said...

Thanks, man! I appreciate the comment, and am glad that I was able to help in some small way. All the best to you!

Greg K said...

A change of pace is always good and I wish you the best of luck with all future ventures. I never had you as a AM mentor either, but have been following your blog and using the great tools you made possible. Maybe now we'll get blog posts more often :P